Sunday, March 29, 2009

Woman Interrupted


Since the fateful day last month I quit my job, I've been taking a two prong approach to life: applying for new jobs and hustling up free lance work. Between the two activities, I've been busier during the day than when I was gainfully employed.

All day I write letters, make phone calls and go to networking events. After the events, I make more phone calls.

This week, everything must come to a halt. I have to clean my house for Passover.

As anyone who knows me is quite aware, cleaning my house is not an Olympic event in my world. If I ever won the lottery, the first thing I would do is hire a cleaning service. I feel no awesome pride if people can eat off my floors - let them eat off my table instead. At least that is always covered by a clean cloth.

You can spend two hours cleaning the bathroom, and no one ever says, "Wow, what a clean bathroom!" No, they come in a leave toothpaste all over the clean sink and hair all over the shower. Am I really supposed to get gratification from that?

I don't judge other people's lack of housekeeping either. Unless someone else's house is really covered in grime, I don't pay much attention. If the place is immaculate and clutter-free, I get the creeps. Who wants to live in a mausoleum?

But Passover descends, and I have to clean. Today the refrigerator, tomorrow the hall closet! I've already dusted under all the furniture in my bedroom and am working through the pile of papers on my desk - which I can't even use because of the pile of papers.

At least I don't live in Israel anymore. I used to ride the bus and complete strangers would sit next to me and begin a conversation, "So how's your cleaning going?" Lousy, thank you.

I hate to clean, but for the next two weeks, I'll be doing it like mad. Even though I'm not hosting any Seders this year, on the first night of Passover, the answer to the question, "Why is this night different from all other nights?" will be obvious. My house will be clean.

Then I can get back to finding a job, so I can hire someone else to clean it.

No comments: